How to Save Money without Sacrificing Your Care
Have you ever wondered why it’s simple to find the best deals, discounts, and quality in nearly everything except…your medical care? Patients are often faced with making difficult choices about their healthcare. At times, those choices may feel extremely limited and limiting.
The truth is, when it comes to lowering your healthcare costs, you do have options. What if you could get the care you need for the price you can afford without sacrificing the quality you deserve? Here’s a few steps to take control of your health while safeguarding your wallet in 2019.
The Cost Savings of Outpatient Imaging
You can access the highest quality care without paying the highest price tag. Look for both hospital and non-hospital options. Many outpatient centers offer the state-of-the-art technology and the experts you deserve with added cost-savings and convenience. In fact, many insurance companies actually prefer non-hospital outpatient settings for high-end imaging. The same services are often provided at a significantly reduced cost. Outpatient, non-hospital imaging is making it more affordable for people with or without insurance to get their imaging done. Many people do not know they have a choice between imaging that occurs in a hospital and in an outpatient center. But at a lower cost, will you really get the same quality services? Look for an outpatient facility staffed by experts. Outpatient imaging centers run by Board Certified, Fellowship Trained Radiologists will provide you the highest level of service at the best possible value.
Don’t put off the tests your doctor ordered!
When it comes to staying healthy, getting the imaging study that your doctor recommends is an investment in your health. High-end imaging can provide essential diagnostic or treatment information. Waiting to obtain your scans and results can put your treatment to a halt and actually become life-threatening. Delays in treatment can ultimately limit your options for care and reduce survival rates if you have a serious health problem.
The problem is, rising costs have many patients putting off care due to the cost. Here’s the good news: you can actually get the same quality, high-end imaging done for less in an outpatient facility. Many facilities are run by Radiologists and offer the state-of-the-art technology you’ll find in the hospital setting.
Examples of high-end imaging you’ll find in the outpatient setting:
- Computed tomography (CT), also known as a computerized axial tomography (CAT) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Positron emission tomography (PET), also known as PET imaging, PET scan, or PET-CT when it is combined with CT
When it comes to staying healthy, more and more patients, their insurers, and even employers are recognizing the value of preventative screening. Getting preventative scans can help you take control of your health. There are three reasons you should schedule preventative screening:
- Establish a baseline.
- Detect illness.
- Determine a treatment plan.
According to Eric Hargis, public policy adviser for the Colon Cancer Alliance, “Too many Americans are dying from a largely preventable disease that can almost always be treated if found early…this will save lives.” With the ability to be more proactive, our patients are achieving more successful outcomes than ever before.
Whether it is a preventative scan like a Heart Scan, Bone Density or Virtual Colonoscopy, the results of your scans play an important role in your health. Should any changes occur, that baseline will inform the decisions regarding your treatment options. Often our patients experience the added benefit of a more efficient treatment course as a result of early detection or the ability to see what is happening with tissue, circulation or bone — a key benefit of preventative screenings. Efficiency and options usually lead to cost-savings, giving you more control over your medical care.
Before scheduling preventative scans, it’s important to discuss a preventative health plan with your doctor that is right for you. Your eligibility for screening will depend on your age, sex, and risk factors.
3 simple steps to safeguard against overspending for services
- Be informed. Becoming an educated consumer is the first step in discovering the choices that are available to you. Ask your doctor about your options for prescriptions, referrals, imaging studies, and preventative scans and why one option may be more beneficial over the other.
- Shop around. When you’re given a referral for a scan or a study, call all the providers in your area to see who offers the best value. You may be surprised to find out that the facility you’ve always gone to isn’t your best option. Ask two questions: 1) The total cost. Even if you don’t have to pay the entire amount through a high-deductible insurance plan, it’s good to know the cost of services for comparison or if your health insurance company denies your claim. 2) The out-of-pocket cost. If your medical test is covered by your insurance company, ask what your expense will be through your particular insurance plan.
- Call your health insurance company before setting your appointment. Take the time to confirm coverage and ask for your total out-of-pocket expense to prevent surprises. It’s also good practice to make note of the first and last name of the customer service representative giving you cost-answers.
Employer Incentives for Healthcare
As the benefits of preventative screenings are increasingly being recognized, many employers are starting to offer incentives for their employees to take control of their own health. Some employers have even started “health days” – an added convenience in scheduling your scans. Ask your employer about your preventative health options. Like many patients in our region, you may be entitled to take advantage of our flexible office hours on your way to work.
Planning for Your Imaging Appointment
If you are uninsured or if you have to pay in full because you have not met your deductible, you may have options. Your health is important. Find out if you can access the care you need for a lower price.
Payment options for your healthcare:
- No interest payment plans. Interest-free payment options can spread your medical bills out so that you can budget the cost of your care.
- Discounts on care. Some providers offer discounts on care when you pay in full, up-front.
- Acceptance of your insurance plan. If you have insurance, shop around for a provider who accepts your plan before scheduling your appointment. Remember, it pays to compare the value offered by medical providers.
Access the Healthcare Services you Deserve
At Medical Imaging of Fredericksburg, we make the process as simple as possible. From the time you call to schedule your appointment, to the last step of the billing process, you’ll be treated like a VIP. Our knowledgeable staff will guide you through your coverage and payment options so that you’re never left with questions. Let our concierge services focus on the paperwork, so that you and your doctor can focus on your care.
At MIF you’ll find…
- Board Certified, Fellowship Trained Doctors
- Dedicated, expert staff
- State-of-the-Art Technology
- Highest quality care
- Best value in the Region
What is the cost of high-end imaging and preventative scans?
From high-end diagnostic imaging to preventative health screening, Medical Imaging of Fredericksburg (MIF) offers the best quality, value, and affordability in the region. We work to ensure that you will be satisfied with medical staff, our facilities, and even our pricing. That’s why we’re proud to serve you with Board Certified, Fellowship Trained experts at our state-of-the-art outpatient facilities and save you an average of $176 per exam. That’s 27% less expensive than our competitors. We achieve 95% + in customer satisfaction at all of our locations and offer payment plans to make your imaging studies easier to budget.
How much will I save by choosing MIF?*:
- CT scan of abdomen and pelvis: $325 saved. That’s 35% less expensive than our competitors.
- CT scan for chest with contrast: $275 saved. 45% less expensive than our competitors.
- Mammography screening: $99 saved. 33% less expensive than our competitors.
- MRI brain scan with and without contrast: $268 saved. 22% less expensive than our competitors.
- Ultrasound for abdomen: $91 saved. 29% less expensive than our competitors.
Have questions about your healthcare? Call the local experts you can trust. We’re here to help you navigate through your choices in care: 540-741-XRAY (9729)
*MIF compared competitor prices with payments to MIF using data provided by Healthcare Bluebook, an organization committed to informing medical consumers.